Friday, January 29, 2016

Freudian Slip?

This morning while we were discussing the latest round of entertainment passing for a debate among Republicans, my wife happened to call the absent candidate "Crump." When she said, "I don't know why I said that," I replied, "It comes from trying to say 'crap' and 'Trump' at the same time." That struck me as a rather innocent language game, compared with Marco Rubio. In response to Time proclaiming him "The Republican Savior," he declared that there was only one "Savior." I honor the capitalization implied in his used of the word, because his punch line was that the only true "Savior" was Jesus. It may be that the November election will be a signal to those of us that are not Christian (or, perhaps, even Rubio's idea of what Christian should be) to start living with packed suitcases.

No comments: