Saturday, December 28, 2013

Local Interest

Given that my page view numbers are pretty modest when compared with the most popular Examiner.com sites, I was glad to see that, even while the concert scene is relatively sparse, I was still able to muster above-average attention for my "memorable concerts of 2013" article. However, I suspect one of the reasons for that attention was that, this year, my list had a heavy focus on local performers. Indeed, the "out of town" talent that made it onto the list consisted of the pianists Richard Goode and András Schiff. Scott Sandmeier also made the last for the "audition" concert he gave for the position of conductor of the Conservatory Orchestra; but, since he won that audition, he is now "local talent." Similarly, there were visiting artists performing with local groups, such as Semyon Bychkov conducting the San Francisco Symphony and all of the people involved in San Francisco Opera productions who do not live in San Francisco. Nevertheless, the message seems to be that San Francisco is an excellent "home" for those committed to performing for serious listeners. Given that, like just about every other city, San Francisco is confronting some hard decisions about its budge, I just hope it can maintain that status.

No comments: